Tools for tackling school stress

Baylee Howell said her first semester at ULM has been stressful.

“I learned quickly that college is nothing like high school,” said Howell, a freshman risk management and insurance major.

Howell was one of many students who took time away from studying for midterms to attend the Stress Management Workshop in the Student Center Wednesday.

Karen Foster, director of the counseling center, said stress isn’t always a bad thing and that it can be beneficial. She reminded students that when stress is managed effectively, it can help them stay on task.

“The most important thing is to recognize and challenge negative thought patterns,” said Foster. “Students will sometimes fall into a vicious cycle of ‘awfulizing,’ for example, allowing one bad grade to dictate your ability to pass a class.”

Foster said the healthy alternative to stop this stress cycle is to prepare, organize and stay positive.

Foster also said that if stress isn’t “harnessed” properly, it can lead to unhealthy behaviors like excessive drinking, drug use and anger. She said students should “be aware of stress and know when to ask for help.”

Regan Murry said his school load “piles up everyday.”

“You have to deal with it,” said Murry. “I’m going to make plans to spend time with my friends, work out and to deal with the stress of the semester.”

Foster said some people deal with stress by eating, starving themselves or sleeping.

Foster taught the students a variety of techniques they can use if they ever find themselves stressed beyond their control.

She taught relaxation and breathing exercises, as well as progressive muscle relaxation.

Foster also told students to avoid isolation in stressful situations.

Finally, Foster reminded students that even though “you can’t control what happens to you, you can control how you respond.”

The Counseling Center can be reached at 318-342-5220 for more information.