Mardi Gras makes early arrival to campus

The student government discussed upcoming events at their regular business meeting last Tuesday.

“There’s a lot to do, a lot to put on, and we want to know your ideas,” said SGA President Marc Calhoun as the senate spoke of their plans.

Shelbi Penny, head of research and judicial affairs, pointed out that Mardi Gras Court elections are coming up. However, not many applications have been picked up.

Usually, Mardi Gras Court elections take place during spring semester, but this year there will not be enough time.

The election process takes two weeks, but there will not be two weeks between when students return to school after winter break and the Mardi Gras parade.

“No one is in the Mardi Gras mood right now, I totally get it, but we have to do it this semester,” said Laura Jennings, SGA adviser.

SGA also discussed Parent’s Day, which will take place on Nov. 14. Parents are invited to join their students for a day full of activities and entry into the ULM vs. Arkansas State football game.

Registration for Parent’s Day is available online at http://ulm.edu/parentsday/.

Colbren Thomas, head of campus projects, reminded senators that Halloween Ball is on Oct. 29.

Thomas plans to enhance the Halloween Ball experience with a short and scary maze students will have to pass through before reaching the dance floor.

It was also announced that Miss ULM tickets will be available for purchase online this week.

Jennings pointed out the importance of promotions in the wake of so many campus activities.

“If you guys aren’t excited about it and talking about it, no one else will be excited about it,” Jennings said.

Jennings encouraged senators to ask fellow students if they plan to go to events as well as share events on social media.

The senate is also donating pumpkins to Up ‘til Dawn’s Hawktoberfest event. Senators volunteered to help attendees paint and carve the pumpkins as well.