Fall challenge gauges students’ fitness

Movement, sweat and students. The ULM’ Activity Center hosted the first Fall Fitness Challenge this week.

The Department of Recreational Services and Wellness Department presented the first Fall Fitness Challenge Oct. 20-21.

The challenge tested student’s strength, flexibility and endurance.

Testing stations located in the Activity Center gave students a chance to assess basic physical ability.  Challenge events included a sit and reach, a timed shuttle run and mile run as well as the number of pushups, sit ups and pull ups in one minute.

Mara Brown, Wellness Coordinator at the Activity Center, organized the event. A ULM alumna and current employee, this was her first event here and she was pleased with the turnout.

ULM has not had a fitness challenge for a couple of years. Brown coordinated challenges in past jobs and knew it would be a beneficial event for ULM.

Fitness challenges are important because they give people a benchmark to measure where they are physically, what they need to work on and how far they have come.

Brown is focused on bringing more people to the Activity Center and promotional events like the recent challenge helps to raise awareness.

“A lot of students don’t know we’re here. So this is just a fun activity to give them incentive to actually be active,” Brown said.

Participants were scored by totaling the numbers from their results and winners were announced at the end of the challenge. Prizes included Fitbits and a duffle bag.

Brown is excited to bring new activity to the Center. She plans on incorporating special fitness-themed seminars and challenges in the future.

Tim Perkins, a kinesiology major participating in the event, was surprised at his results. He performed better than he expected in certain areas but underperformed in others.

“I definitively noticed that I’m not in the same shape that I was in during high school. I’ve got to start working out again,” Perkins said.

College is hectic and it can be hard to find time to exercise. But students have automatic membership at the Activity Center and its convenience coupled with friendly staff offers no excuse not to take care of your body during this busy time of life.