Gold squad clinches Blood Series title

The bats of the Gold squad led to an opening three game sweep in the 2015 annual Baseball Blood Series.

Coach Peddie was pleased with the effort he saw from both teams.

“Both our teams came out with energy and intensity. There was outstanding pitching and exciting play,” Peddie said.

The first pitch of the series was thrown out Wednesday night by senior Chris Hunt of the Maroon squad.

His first inning saw the bats of the gold squad light up and connect on five pitches that brought in four runs.

Brain Findley struck first with a triple and the runs poured in from there.

An RBI single followed by Danny Springer and the inning was capped off by two more RBI’s from Spencer Hemphill and Chance DeFriend.

The Maroon team faced an early 4-0 hole but cut the deficit in half with a sacrifice fly by Justin Crouch and unearned run by Todd Dalton.

An RBI double by Josh Pugh brought in Josh Faciane and brought the Gold squad’s lead back to three during the bottom of the second.

The Gold squad continued to build on their lead and another run was drawn in at the botton of the third.

In the bottom of the fourth, a blast by Pugh further deepened the hole the Maroon squad faced as the senior sent one over the right field wall.

The Maroon squad still had fight left within them and notched a pair of runs at the top of the fifth from Brian Barefoot and Cody Stone.

The effort proved in vain as Faciane ran home on Pugh’s second RBI of the night and the scoring concluded with an 8-4 Gold squad win.

“We were going to hit fast balls and we saw a lot of great swings to the opposite field,” Peddie said.

After an opening game that featured heavy offense the second bout was all about defense.

Starting pitcher Keegan Curtis for the Maroon squad threw five scoreless innings to start the contest.

The first run of the game came in the bottom of the fourth with Maroon facing one out.

After Anthony Herrera reached based on a throwing error Ross Moore followed with a double and gave Maroon their first lead of the series.

In the bottom of the sixth Maroon built on that lead with an infield RBI single from Vincent Dellocono.

Herrera scored the run after having stolen second and third before.

Tyler Scwaner took over in relief from pitcher Keegan Curtis and carried a shutout into the top of the ninth.

After two early outs to start off the top of the ninth Garret Walters got the first hit of the inning for Gold squad.

A single into left field later in the inning by Findley led to two runs brought in and a whole new ball game.

Faciene brought home Buckman on his next at bat giving the Gold their first lead of the game and a one run lead going into the bottom of the ninth.

“Keegan and Bouchey were both dominant, and we were lucky enough to pull out the win. When I got to the plate with a chance to win the game, I was just looking for a ball out over the plate that I could get a good swing on,” Faciene said.

A fly out, ground out and strike out ended Maroon’s hopes of evening the series and gave Gold a 2-0 edge.

Entering into game three the Gold squad picked off where they left in game one.

Nathan Pugh singled and stole second putting two runners in scoring position.

After a walk loaded the bases Jacob Stockton singled to center field bringing in two runs.

A fly out later in the inning  bought in another run and the inning ended in a quick 3-0 Gold lead.

Spencer Hemphill singled to right later in the third inning to bring home Gold’s fourth run of the night.

Maroon squad was held scoreless throughout the game because of the pitching of Josh Leone who struck out six in 6 2/3 innings.

“I had control of all three of my pitches and felt good, but wouldn’t have been nearly as successful without a great infield behind me,” Leone said.

A wild pitch in the eighth brought home Stockton for Gold’s fifth and final run of the night.

Gold squad took a 3-0 series lead.