Dangers of addictive drug demands awareness

Breaking Bad aired in 2008, introducing the general public to the business of making and selling crystallized methamphetamine–crystal meth.

While the show was a success and is regarded as one of the greatest television series of all time, the show fails to illustrate the dangers of using meth and the damages it can rapidly inflict.

“Meth” or methamphetamine goes by many different names. but the contents normally are the same with a few variations depending on who is making the meth.

Meth contains pseudoephedrine, a decongestant found in Sudafed, and a number of toxic ingredients such as drain cleaner, battery acid and antifreeze.

This drug can be used many ways: injection, snorting, smoking or swallowing.

It is recognized that Nov. 30 is National Meth Awareness Day.

On this day, the dangers of meth use are highlighted with the hashtag #MethAwarenessDay.

The use of meth can have short and long term effects on the human body.

Some of the short term effects are loss of appetite, tremors, paranoia, stroke and death.

Some of the long term effects are hallucinations, sensations of bugs crawling underneath the skin, “meth mouth,” violent behavior, seizures and death.

Logan Rudd, a sophomore secondary education major, described one of the common effects of “meth mouth.”

Rudd said, “They [the drug user] always drank Coke. They would drink six or seven Cokes a day and their breath always smelled horrible.”

These are common signs that lead to “meth mouth,” which is caused by poor oral hygiene and cravings for sugary drinks.

The acid in the Coke builds up on the teeth, and since the teeth are not properly cleaned, the teeth begin to rot.

Another well-known fact about meth is how easily it can age the users over the course of a few months to a year.

Former America’s Next Top Model contestant Jael Strauss, competed on the show in 2007 at the age of 22.

Strauss went on to sign a modeling contract and later began her own clothing line.

In 2012, she was featured on the “Dr. Phil Show.”

Strauss discussed how her addiction to meth ended her modeling career.

Tiffany Gaspard, pharmacy major was a fan of the show when Jael competed.

“I loved her fun and quirky personality, and I thought she would go on to do great things. It’s sad to see that she can’t even model anymore because of how much the meth has damaged her face,” Gaspard said.