Warhawks slain by Trojans

A tenacious Troy defense and powerful offensive attack led Troy to surge past ULM 51-14 in Veteran’s Memorial Stadium.

In front of a crowd of over 18,000, the Warhawks gave up the ball six times and allowed almost 500 yards to lead to a Trojan route.

Coach Todd Berry said that’s one of the poorest performances he’s seen his team have.

“That was about as bad as I’ve ever seen us play. There was very, very poor execution on both sides of the football, kicking game, penalties, and turnovers are all the things that get you beat,” Berry said.

The game began with a field goal from Troy within the first five minutes.

After beginning with favorable field position at midfield, the Trojans drove it 47 yards down the field before the Warhawk defense dug in and forced a 20-yard field goal.

ULM’s offensive woes began on the next drive as quarterback Garrett Smith was sacked and fumbled on a 3rd and 13.

The fumble was recovered by a Trojan defender and taken 27 yards for Troy’s first touchdown of the night.

On the Warhawk’s ensuing possession, Smith fumbled for the second time facing a 3rd and 8.

The fumble was recovered by Troy, but no yards were made on the return.

After allowing a first down, the ULM defense dug in and forced another field goal attempt.

Troy’s kicker booted it through from 28 yards out and the Trojan lead was increased to 13-0.

After struggling offensively, the Warhawks finally found their rhythm their next drive.

Smith found Marcus Green for a 47- yard touchdown reception.

The Trojans answered with a 43-yard touchdown strike of their own and brought the score to 20-7.

ULM then orchestrated a 75 yard touchdown drive, which was capped off by a 30-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Ajalen Holley.

Troy then struck on their next drive with a 75-yard touchdown reception and stretched the lead to 27-14.

The Warhawks could find no more offensive rhythm the rest of the half, and Smith would throw an interception that was returned 55 yards for a Trojan touchdown.

Troy would also add a 3-yard touchdown reception to balloon their lead to 48-14 at half.

“It comes down to executing and making plays and we aren’t doing either. We haven’t really been for a while on defense,” Berry said.

The start of the second half saw the Warhawk defense make a stand on fourth down and force a turnover on downs.

Running back Kaylon Watson fumbled on the second play of ULM’s ensuing drive and the Warhawks gave the ball right back over.

The ULM defense held firm and forced another Trojan field goal which was good from 33 yards out.

After completing a couple of first downs, Smith threw his second interception of the night and the Trojans set up on their 22-yard line.

The Warhawk offense never got going in the second half, and two punts and a third Smith interception ended the game.

The Warhawks face Arkansas State Nov. 14 in Malone Stadium.

The game is one of two left that they will play at home.