Gap year or trap year, post-graduation?

For most graduates, that is the direct route to take. Internships during previous semesters are frequently seen as the basis for long-term employment post-graduation. And with final exams coming up, students graduating are already thinking about their day-to-day routine on the job.

But with the economy the way it is, the transition from university life to a first big boy or big girl job is no longer viable for many students, said Isabel Bohrer, Century Link Accounting Executive.

Competition for positions are fierce, especially as more and more people are getting laid off.

For college graduates, it may be, at first sight a grim future—but it doesn’t have to be. “The key is to look beyond your immediate environment. Post-graduation can be the perfect time to go abroad and allow you to grow personally and professionally,” said Justin Page, KNOE 8 news reporter.

Some students may view a round world trip as an escape from corporate life. Catherine Schilling, senior biology major said she already has post-graduation plans, and they don’t involve any traveling but returning home to Colorado.

Schilling said, “Traveling the world sounds fun, but I never pictured putting my career on hold just to do it.”

Parents and some educators may frown upon students who choose not to keep looking for jobs in the United States.

Some people speak in favor of going abroad after graduation because of the opportunities it may provide. Returning to the states with experience in different cultures, learning to become more independent, picking up a foreign language and even better managing a budget may sharpen the tools needed to succeed as an employer in America.

On the other hand, some people may view a RTW (round the world) trip post-graduation as a retirement luxury, honeymoon present, an unecessary expense or a waste of time.

“Traveling would have been great, I just wanted to jump into my career without missing an opportunity,” said Page.

Depending on the graduate’s goals, the choice may vary. The cost to travel abroad is always the first question. Where, when and what to do might be limited by finances.

Determining how much money you have available to travel should form part of the planning process.

Some students like, Spanish major, Heath Simoneaux said that he’s been working a part-time job since his freshman year. S

imoneaux said he’s saved a little change each paycheck towards the RTW of his dreams.

“Traveling to Guatemala has been a goal of mine for years now. It has some of the best, cheapest schools for learning Spanish. I’m still saving and I can’t wait,” said Simoneaux.

Aside from the financial planning of traveling abroad after graduating, Boher said the greatest reward followed after returning, was the job offers she recieved because of her traveling experiences.

A recent study by IES Abroad shows that study and work abroad increases a post-graduates’ options of landing a job and eliminating the chance of unemployment.

With graduation being so close to the finish line, for some students, the bottom line is the choice to transition from college to cubicle or from traveling to settling are a close call —the choice is yours.