New year means new you

It can be intimidating when a list of New Year resolutions is as long as a holiday shopping list.

In addition to the post-holiday funk, not being able to keep resolutions by February, March or even late January may increase stress.

When the holiday decorations are packed up and stored away, the frustration of an unused gym membership or other reminders of failed resolutions can make the year feel hopeless.    

However, it is important to remember that the New Year isn’t meant for people to change their entire life.

It is a time for people to reflect on their past year’s behavior and promise to make positive lifestyle changes.

“Setting small, attainable goals throughout the year, instead of a singular, overwhelming goal on January 1 can help you reach whatever it is you strive for,” said psychologist Lynn Bufka.

“Remember, it is not the extent of the change that matters, but rather the act of recognizing that lifestyle change is important and working toward it, one step at a time,” said Bufka.                     

By making realistic resolutions, there is a greater chance of keeping them throughout the year. According to the American Psychological Association, start small.

Change one behavior at a time. Talk about it, don’t beat yourself up and ask for support to help achieve your New Year’s resolution.