Women screech past Georgia Southern with buzzer beater

With ULM facing a one point deficit and the final clock nearing zero sophomore Chelsea Tieuel fired up a last effort three.

The shot bounced off the rim but senior Ashley Aune charged in and snatched an all important offensive rebound.

She quickly tossed it to sophomore Daja Chase who was cutting in towards the basket from the top left part of the circle.

Chase fired up a jumper from just inside the arc and everyone watched as it swished through the net.

The Warhawks had taken a one point lead at 50-49 with mere seconds remaining on the clock.

A dog pile ensued and Chase was smothered by her teammates.

Chase was fouled on the play and stepped up to the line to miss her free throw.With only a second left on the clock the Eagles inbound was stoled by senior Alayshia Hunter and the game was over.

The contest was a back and forth affair in which neither team could seize  the advantage.

After ULM opened the first with an eight point lead the game began to tighten.

At halftime the teams walked into their locker rooms with Georgia Southern holding onto a small 25-20  lead.

The third quater saw the the Warhawks and Eagles trade buckets and the fourth began with Southern clinging to a four point lead.

With seven minutes left in the fourth quarter the Eagles went on a run and built up a seven point lead.

The Warhawks went on a late rally led by Daja Chase who scored seven points in the quarter.

The game stood knotted at 43 apiece with 4 minutes left.

But a  late layup by junior Andreanna Jackson and three pointer by Tieuel set up Chase with an opportunity for the buzzer beater.

With the win the women move to 7-7 on the year and claim their first conference win of the season.

The team heads back to January 21 to take on the Trojans of Troy.