Meet the 2016 best new artist grammy nominees

Each year, the Recording Academy names a handful of musicians with a Best New Artist Grammy nomination last month, five upstarts were given the honor: Australian rocker Courtney Barnett, singer-songwriter James Bay, country star Sam Hunt, pop singer Tori Kelly and “All About That Bass” singer Meghan Trainor.

Historically, the Academy has given the award to some artists who’ve been relegated to the Where Are They Now bin: Starland Vocal Band (who won in 1977 for “Afternoon Delight”), Men at Work (who scored in 1983 for “Land Down Under”) and Christopher Cross (who recorded the yacht-rock staple “Sailing”) are just a few.

But the academy has also awarded legitimate phenomenons: Amy Winehouse, Sam Smith, Adele, Carrie Underwood and John Legend have all won the award in recent years.

Heres a little more about the 58th annual best new artist grammy nominees.

Courtney Barnett

The Australian singer-songwriter is one of the funniest, whip-smart new musicians of the year, thanks to her head-banging debut album “Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit and Ponder” and breakout performances at this year’s SXSW.

James Bay

The British singer-songwriter had one of the biggest U.K. debut albums of the year with “Chaos and the Calm.” He’s also collaborated with some of music’s heavy hitters—he’s opened for the Rolling Stones and Taylor Swift. His single “Hold Back the River has been certified platnum.

Sam Hunt

With his debut album Montevallo and a string of platinum-selling singles (including his latest, “Breakup in a Small Town”), Hunt is one of the hottest stars to emerge out of Nashville this year. He’s showing no signs of slowing. He has already started working on his second album.

Meghan Trainer

Surely, you’ve heard of Meghan Trainor thanks to her massive 2014 single “All About That Bass,” but her profile kept rising in 2015, whether it was through her new track for “The Peanuts Movie” or her on-stage make-out with “Marvin Gaye” collaborator Charlie Puth at this year’s American Music Awards.

Tori Kelly

You know you’ve got musical bonafides when you get an endorsement from Prince. Earlier this year, the icon told Entertainment Weekly about why Kelly is one of his favorite new artists. “She’ll make it because she does the work,” Prince said of the “Nobody Love” singer.