Oscars outrage among african-american community

The president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Monday said she was “heartbroken and frustrated” by the lack of diversity among this year’s Oscar nominees.

None of the nominees for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor or Best Supporting Actress are performers of color, prompting calls from some celebrities to boycott the telecast in February.

Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs addressed the criticism with a lengthy statement last Monday, pledging to take “dramatic steps to alter the makeup of our membership”

Last week director Spike Lee used Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday to announce that he and his wife will not attend the Oscars after all of the best actor nominations went only to caucasions.

In the Instagram post, Lee wrote that he means no disrespect to host Chris Rock, producer Reggie Hudlin, or Boone Isaacs.

“But, how is it possible for the 2nd consecutive year all 20 contenders under the actor category are white?” Lee wrote.

“And let’s not even get into the Oscar branches. 40 white actors in two years and no flava at all. We can’t act?! WTF!!”

Markeia May, senior nursing major said, “ I understand why people are so upset because it is like black aren’t being recoginized for their work.”

Two days ago, actor Jada Pinkett Smith suggested people of color boycott the Oscars for nominating predominately white stars.

There was backlash on Twitter following the announcement of this year’s nominations.

Using the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite, people argued the Academy snubbed actors such as Pinkett Smith’s husband Will Smith for Concussion, and Michael B. Jordan for Creed.

“Hopefully one day African Americans will be recognized for their work because the separation is still there today and we need to keep moving forward,” May said.