Staff member honored as patriotic employer

Jennings recieves award from coworker

Laura Knotts Jennings has attended and hosted multiple meetings while on staff. Never did she imagine she would be awarded at one.

Garry Butler, coordinator of student development, awarded Jennings as a patriotic employer for contributing to national security by supporting employee participation in America’s National Guard and Reserve Force.

“I had no idea that was going to happen, but the first thing I thought was, ‘Why am I getting a plaque?” Jennings, student life and leadership director, said.

Butler can answer that.

“I’m very appreciative of Mrs. Laura Knotts Jennings. I appreciate her welcoming me and my family here back in last March,” said Butler. “Its been a great  opportunity for myself.”

Jennings said the real reward is having the opportunity to work with Butler.

“I’m lucky he moved here and accepted this job. He is awesome to work with and is tireless in his desire to improve student life,” Jennings said.

Last year, Butler was hired as the coordinator of student development.

The award was given to Laura in front of the Student Government.

“It was nice to see that the sacrifices taken by the staff aren’t unappreciated,” said CJ Nash, junior risk management and insurance and marketing major, said.

Many, like Jennings and Nash, were surprised that the military awarded civilians.

“I have a greater appreciation for them knowing they go out of their way to ensure that employers are appreciated,” Nash said.

The award was given on behalf of Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas and the military.