Rogers goes medieval

Humanities professor William Rogers calls himself a medievalist. He defines the term medievalist as, “a scholarship that crosses disciplinary lines.”

Rogers clarifies this definition by mentioning that medievalists do not focus on only one region in the Middle Age. Medievalists study the details of medieval life. Medieval studies can reach as far back as the fall of the Roman Empire.

The most recent that the medieval studies go is no later than the late 1400s. Rogers’ spark of interest happened while attending Univeristy of Texas at Arlington. Dante Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy and a class focusing on the English poet Chaucer helped Rogers gain interest in medieval society.

Rogers will be attending the International Congress on Medieval Studies later this year. This event hosts one of the largest gatherings of medievalists in North America.

Activities are focused on both entertainment and scholarly purposes. Sword making, dancing and panel discussions are a few of the activities that medievalists can enjoy. Rogers will be participating in one of the panel discussions.

Rogers has other interests besides medieval culture. Literature is another area of focus for Rogers. Rogers is currently working on two historical fiction books.

Rogers is also active in various outdoor recreational activities. The multiple local outdoor activities are an added bonus for Rogers.

Studying medieval culture is what makes Rogers unique. His devotion to the medievalist title is clearly shown through his knowledge of the medieval subject.