Two Warhawk baseball players accused of rape

MONROE, La. – Two University of Louisiana at Monroe baseball players were booked on aggravated rape charges Friday.

Shelby Esters Aulds, 21, and Kendall Scott Thamm, 20, each bonded out on $15,000.

Aulds, 111 Briar Cliff, and Thamm, 2206 Magnolia Bend, Baytown, Texas, turned themselves in to the Ouachita Correctional Center on Friday afternoon.

ULM Athletic Director Bobby Staub acknowledged the young men’s arrests with a released statement Saturday.

“We are aware of the situation and per policy, these student-athletes have been suspended from the team pending investigation,” Staub said.

Aulds is a sophomore right-handed pitcher from West Monroe.

He lettered in baseball and football for West Monroe High School and was the starting quarterback and ace pitcher for the Rebels before graduating in 2008.

After finishing his prep career at West Monroe High School, he took off the following two seasons before deciding to transfer from Louisiana Tech University to ULM.

Thamm is a junior college transfer.

The left-handed pitcher signed with ULM last year and reported to campus in August for the fall semester.

Thamm was recruited by ULM head coach Jeff Schexnaider after posting a 4-4 record with a 4.89 ERA as a freshman at Angeline College, striking out 44 batters in 53.1 innings of work.

He pitched just 12 innings last season after recovering from an injury he sustained as a freshman.

The Monroe Police Department was unsure as to which agency issued the initial arrest warrants.

An officer with the MPD’s Warrants Division was unable to access further information regarding the incident.

Story courtesy of the Monroe News-Star