National Pan-Hellenic Council celebrates black history month

According to Nadia Harris, black history is a subject that always interests youths like her. It is a subject that enables the American youths to see and learn about people that are around them.

“Black history in the broadest sense includes the contributions of black people to development of history and civilization,” said Harris, a pre-nursing major.

Various events were conducted on campus during February to commemorate Black History Month. February 22- 27 was celebrated as National Pan-Hellenic Council, (NPHC) week on campus.

The NPHC is the governing council for ULM’s nine NPHC affiliated fraternities and sororities which are historically black.

Harris said that celebrating Black History Month is important for students to remember the endless legacy of their culture.

“I really enjoyed being a part of the events of black history retention. The NPHC week was full of events that focused on the significant landmarks created by the black people,” said Harris.

The NPHC events highlighted the contributions of black people to the development of the arts, technology and the sciences, industry and world trade, and religion and philosophy.

The events included a Wind Ensemble Tribute to African American Music, the Lyceum Series guest  LeVar Burton, an NPHC stroll off and a Black History Parade. It was a full house participation for all of these events.

Students that attended events said that Black History Month helps African American’s remember their traditions. According to Brianna Webb, a freshman kinesiology major, the month is used to remember the important contributions and achievments of Arican Americans through America’s history.

“Black History Month is an integral part of our nation’s tradition in which we continue to promote the examples of poignant historical events, exemplary leaders and steps towards societal change,” Webb said.

Harris also said that by reliving and remembering history, we create awareness of the struggles and challenges that African Americans overcame in this country.  Furthermore, Webb said that remembering African Americans’ struggles is not only meaningful for the African American community; it is also imperative for the greater understanding of national and world history.

“Every race is connected to the rich history of this nation, and by celebrating Black History Month everyone can be included in a tradition of acknowledgement, inclusion and community engagement,” Harris said.