‘Freshlife’ film festival helps close a chapter for freshmen

Freshlife film festival helps close a chapter for freshmen

[imagebrowser id=4]

As part of the Freshman Year Experience, students enrolled in university seminar class (UNIV 1001, formerly FRYS 101) must get together into groups of four to five people and create a short 5-7 minute film documenting freshman life.

Students were put into groups at the beginning of the year, and given deadlines to turn in certain pieces, such as their group name, scripts, and video updates. “My first thoughts about the project would be that it’s going to be fun, then I thought, oh geez, more work,” says Reianna Morse, a freshman elementary education major from Springhill, LA, about the project.

The time span for the projects differed by class, but they were all finished by the end of October. The themes differed, from a Borat impersonation to a mock of an infomercial, and even a mock of the show Jersey Shores. The top video from each freshman seminar class was turned in, and the student population got to vote on which one they liked the best.

The top 7 choices by the students were sent to the Film Festival in the grove, which occurred on Thursday, November 18, and the top three were chosen: The Book, I Love College, and ULM’s Borat. “I absolutely loved the Freshlife project. It gave me a chance to make new friends and have fun too,” said Karen Lacaze, a freshman interior design major from Sterlington, Louisiana, who was in the group that produced The Book. “It started off an AMAZING freshman year