Delta Fest rocks with a country, R&B concert

The stage is lit. The letters ‘S.M.’ hang at the top. There is a drum set in the middle,  two guitars on the left side and two on the right.

The stage suddenly goes dark. The musicians walk out on to stage and begin  to play the beginning of a song, the crowd starts to go wild. Scotty McCreery pops out of a trap door at the top level of the stage.

The Monroe Civic Center started its 2016 Delta Fest with a country concert  last Friday at 7 p.m.

The concert’s headliner was season 10 winner of the hit reality show “American Idol,” Scotty McCreery.

With the series finale of “American Idol” being just two weeks ago, McCreery reflected on his time on the show.

“It changed my life. It really did, when it boils down to it. I went from your local grocery store bagger to American Idol and living my dream. Making country music has always been my dream, and Idol gave me a chance to capture my dreams,” he said.

McCreery’s debut studio album, “Clear as Day,” was released in October 2011 and was certified platinum in the United States. The album includes the top 20 country songs, “I Love You This Big” and “The Trouble with Girls,” which he performed during the concert.

McCreery’s opening acts were Shreveport native, Jordan Davis and “The Voice” contestant, Casey Muessigmann.

On Saturday the R&B concert was held, where Delta Fest welcomed several R&B legends.

First up was Silk, followed by Ginuwine, Mystikal, En Vouge and Doug E. Fresh.

The night was full of 20 years worth of R&B and some Hip-Hop classics.

Ginuwine sang his most famous hits: “Differences”, “None of Ur Friends Busniess” and “Pony.”

The crowd went wild when Ginuwine leaped off stage and started to walk through the crowd.

The women scrammbled trying to make their way to him.

Hip-Hop artist, Mystikal was actually late. When it was his time to go on stage he was no where to be found.

He only got ten mintues of stage when he arrived.

On a more positive note, all of the artists put on an electric performance to a sold out crowd.