Mass marketing: group gets national attention

Phi Sigma Epsilon beats colleges country-wide for 2nd place award

A campus society is ranked among the best for their marketing expertise. The Pi Sigma Epsilon society competed nationally to show its knowledge in marketing strategy.

Brython Cox, a senior marketing major, led Pi Sigma Epsilon to a second place finish in the national marketing competition.

Cox, president of Pi Sigma Epsilon, said the marketing society is, “experiential learning for marketing and sales management.” Pi Sigma Epsilon’s second place finish was against twenty other schools in the annual B.O.S.S. Games.

The B.O.S.S. (Business Oriented Strategic Simulation) Games is a competition that pits marketing students against each other in a computer simulation experience. Students from various colleges across the country compete to have the best marketing strategy for the scenario presented.

Cox worked with his fellow society members to achieve success in the competition.

CJ Nash, a junior marketing and risk management major, helped Pi Sigma Epsilon complete their objective.

“I followed my intuition on ideas. The other officers all gave input and Brython led us through the whole process,” said Nash, Pi Sigma Epsilon’s vice president of marketing and public relations.

The B.O.S.S. Games take place entirely online. Cox and Pi Sigma Epsilon created their marketing plan using spreadsheets and algorithms. This competition allows groups to compete against other humans instead of computers.

Cox said it takes an extra skill to go against humans instead of a computer. “You’re up against other teams who are changing their strategy,” Cox said.

Before the B.O.S.S. Games, Pi Sigma Epsilon was competing against computer programs that would have a single strategy.

A unique approach was needed to stand-out against the other teams competing. Other teams were trying to please all of the simulated clients. Cox’s team decided to take a different approach by focusing on just a few groups.

This strategy paid off for Pi Sigma Epsilon. It might use the same strategy again.

Their second place finish came with a trophy and a cash reward. Finishing in second also allowed the other schools to see what ULM’s marketing and business students are capable of.

Cox will not be leading Pi Sigma Epsilon in the next competition because of graduation. Nash, however is excited about participating in the next B.O.S.S. Games.

A second place finish shows the determination that Pi Sigma Epsilon put forth in their work. This placement in the competition allows ULM to be viewed as a top competing school in marketing.