Let’s not defile our country

On June 15, 2015 someone told me a joke that Donald Trump was running for President. Sixteen months later, and I’m still waiting for the punch line.

For the past year and a half, America has been subjected to the tomfoolery that is the Presidential election.

Although we have 13 candidates running, our two main nominees are Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. I’m not sure what it says about our country that we have such poor choices, but this is what it’s come to.

I wish I could tell you why Trump’s plan won’t work for America, but unfortunately, I can’t do so because he doesn’t have one. Americans have been treated to nothing but crude statements and incoherent ideas.

If you direct your attention to Trump’s campaign site, you’ll find a lot of words that he claims are ideas. Unfortunately, none of them can exist in America’s reality.

One of my favorites is his view on the Second Amendment. I’ll admit that to an untrained eye, his proposal sounds magnificent. A trained eye, however, could spot that some of the things he said totally missed the point.

Trump’s main point is that we should be allowed to keep all of our guns, no matter the type. He said, “what they’re really talking about are popular semi-automatic rifles and standard magazines that are owned by tens of millions of Americans. Law-abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice. The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own.”

The problem with this form of thinking is, what happens when children like Dylan Roof, Eric David Harris, Dylan Bennet Klebold and Adam Lanza get into their parent’s gun cabinet and shoot up the nearest school or church?

No one said anything about taking away everyone’s guns. That would be impossible. They just want to make it a little harder to obtain guns so criminals or people who have evil in their hearts can’t have easy access to guns.

Look at the Orlando shooter. The man was on the FBI watch list and was still able to purchase assault rifles. No one, and I mean no one, needs an assault rifle to protect themselves from a simple burglar. That’s preposterous.

We don’t need a three-year-old running our country. Trump’s main argument with Hillary Clinton has included attacks to the Obama administration as well as her husband’s past indiscretions.

During one of Trump’s tweets of terror he stated that Hillary Clinton doesn’t have the look of a President. I’m assuming he thinks he has that “look,” although I didn’t know our presidents were supposed to resemble melted copper.

It’s clear he doesn’t understand what’s required to do this job. Yes, Clinon has made mistakes in her political career but I’d like to see him name someone who hasn’t. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them.

Unfortunately, Trump doesn’t apologize when he makes mistakes, partially because he feels he doesn’t make any. Do we really want a president who can’t admit when they messed up? I know I don’t.

When I look at Donald Trump, I don’t see our next POTUS. I see a man who spends his time insulting Americans. A man who relishes igniting fear in the hearts of Americans.

Someone who others individuals for the God they worship.

A man who claims to be an outstanding businessman, but who has filed for bankruptcy four times.

Donald Trump’s campaign page says, “America is Back. I am Your Voice.” I’m sorry Mr. Trump, but my voice has never said, “when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.”

Have you met all the people who migrated from Mexico? Ask yourself this: If I’m abandoning my country because I think America is better, why would I do anything to jeopardize my being here like raping or stealing?

We’re talking about a man who said, “if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

A presidential nominee who tweets crude things about people, then claims he didn’t say them although there’s clear evidence he did.

Someone whose only option is to point out your faults when faced with his own.

He’s a man who condemns people for not having American spirit when he has built his entire campaign on saying negative things about this country and the people who inhabit it.

How can anyone stand by a president who makes fun of someone with disabilities?

I don’t understand how the Republican Party could have fallen so far as to have such an awful imbecilic man as their presidential nominee.