A safe Halloween is easier than it seems

Most of us celebrated the Halloween season in one way or another when we were kids, and we still dress up and celebrate even now as adults.

I always loved the cooler weather, the spooky atmosphere and the excuse to dress as crazy I wanted. Oh, and don’t forget about about the candy!

Through all the shenanigans, however, I still remember what my mother would tell me on this one night every year: “Don’t just be careful, be extra careful.”

This is important because her words of wisdom are just as relevant to me today as they were 10 years ago.

While most people use Halloween as an excuse to have fun and “let loose” a little, there are some out there who use it as a way to bring harm to others.

Be it pranks gone wrong, thefts or even outright violence, Halloween night can be dangerous for even the most cautious trick-or-treaters and party-goers.

Before this small group of people ruin everyone else’s fun, however, there are a few things you can do to stay safe while you enjoy your night.

Always have a buddy with you that you know and trust. You don’t want to find yourself alone in a crowd of strangers with people you don’t know.

Know where you are at all times, and stay in familiar, well-lit areas. If you can’t resist the urge to adventure a little, at least keep track of where you’re going.

If you plan on drinking, please do not drive. Make sure you have a sober friend in your group to not only drive, but also to take care of you if you’re too drunk to take care of yourself.

This last one should be obvious to everyone, but we all need a reminder every now and then.

No matter what, just look out for yourself and use common sense in every decision you make.