Election reactions cause 2 La. universities to address students

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette and Louisiana Tech University have made public addresses due to threats, vandalism and a profane video concerning the election outcome in the wake of Donald Trump’s presidential win.

ULL student Sidney Cobb said when she arrived on campus the day after the election, she saw chalk writings on the campus sidewalks and buildings that read, “Trump” and “F— your free space.”

“I’m kind of shocked that someone would start the day with writing negative words on our friendly campus,” Cobb said.

“They wrote things like ‘build the wall’, racial slurs and also about homosexuals.”

Cobb said she never encountered or experienced anything like that since attending ULL.

The students who wrote these messages are still unknown, but according to a chalk writing on a cement bench, their “free speech is everywhere.”

One ULL student faked an attack robbery story in which she blamed Trump supporters for stealing her hijab and wallet, and four ULL football players were suspended Friday after making a “F— Donald Trump” video.

ULL President E. Joseph Savoie sent out a student address via e-mail, telling students that though the election has caused many Americans to be stressed, students must now “concentrate on trying to find common ground” that will enable them to move forward together as a nation.

“Education is the most effective weapon we have to fight prejudice and to open minds that are closed,” Savoie said.

The Louisiana Tech Police Department and university are investigating a Snapchat of a Tech student writing racial slurs and threatening to leave one female student half dead.

According to KNOE, Tech officials are taking the matter seriously, and they will take the necessary steps to ensure they continue to provide a safe and secure environment on campus.

Les Guice, the president of La. Tech, addressed students in a Facebook post, telling them that the incident will be taken seriously and calling for students of different backgrounds and cultures to come together.

“I believe that every student at Louisiana Tech has something special to offer ,” Guice said.