Warhawks seek successful spring

While spring sports are in full tilt, the ULM football team is hard at work in their off-season workouts. It was open to the public as the Warhawks showcased their young and veteran talent on both sides of the ball.

The scrimmage got off to a slow start as the first-team offense started their first series of the day. There were some missed cues early as a couple of passes were off target, with a couple of drops causing the offense to falter.

Sophomore quarterback Caleb Evans regained his composure with a solid series, completing some passes and moving the offense methodically down the field. He showed poise and composure in the pocket.

The team began to pick up the pace when Evans threw a bomb to junior wide receiver Markis McCray as he got behind the defense for the touchdown. McCray also scored on a reverse play, rushing down the sideline for his second touchdown of the day.

The second-team offense took the field as sophomore quarterback Will Collins was at the helm. He completed some good passes, but none were better than his 60-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Jonathan Hodoh.

Sophomore tight-end Josh Pederson also found a hole in the defense and rumbled down the field for a 35-yard touchdown catch.

Coach Viator discussed the process of spring football after the scrimmage.

“We’re trying to see how far we’ve come and see what kind of job we’ve done as coaches to execute what we need to do as a football team.”

The Warhawk defense played well as junior linebacker David Griffith showed flashes of speed, disrupting the backfield and making some sure tackles. At times, they failed to capitalize on some mistakes by the offense. They did give up some big plays in the secondary, but later buckled down on defense. Sophomore defensive back Logan Latin and senior defensive end Caleb Tucker also had a good scrimmage outing.

In reference to today’s scrimmage, Coach Viator said, “[I] saw some good things today and some things to correct for sure. I thought we ran good on defense early, we ran good on offense, but I thought we missed a couple of plays early on offense. We did make some big plays early.”

Junior wide receiver Marcus Green did what he does best by catching a 60-yard pass and breaking tackles on his way to a touchdown.

Overall, it was a good scrimmage for the Warhawks as they ran the basics of their offensive and defensive scheme. They were testing a couple of players out just to see who could fit in what role.

The Warhawks’ next scrimmage is scheduled for April 1 at 2:55p.m. at Malone Stadium and is open to the public.