Art is important for everyone

Classes that immerse you in the fine arts may not be your favorite, but I believe they play a major role in shaping all students’ lives. Art enhances the way in which we learn as students. It motivates individuals to express themselves in new, creative ways. Without art, we would all be uniform, dull and lifeless. The clothes we wear, the books we read, the movies we watch, the music we listen to and the signs we see are all forms of art. If the arts are not integrated in today’s schools, who will design and come up with new, imaginative ideas? Our culture needs people who think outside of the box rather than inside it. Take a second to imagine that you are a young elementary school student. Your school does not teach art classes because of budget constraints. You don’t know how to paint, draw or express yourself in fun or creative ways in your classes like you could if you had art. Imagination and creativity are not encouraged or nurtured, even though they are an important part of your childhood development. How would this make you feel? Music, theater, dance, drawing, sculpture and painting are all included in a fine arts education. Yet many schools across the U.S. are cutting budgets and even eliminating their art programs. When there are budget constraints, the art programs are always the first to go. They are being cut left and right, yet many people don’t even bat an eyelash. Why are the arts considered so inferior to other subjects such as science, English or math? Art shapes the way students think and enhances our learning process, both in and out of the classroom. It is just as important as any other core subject, because it enriches critical thinking and social skills. What most people do not understand is how art provides a much-needed balance in a student’s education. Art inspires, motivates and helps encourage today’s students to be more creative and imaginative. College students are required to take fine arts classes for a reason: To shape the way we view the world and to appreciate the things we see in our culture. The arts teach more than just color, music or dance. They also teach things that can be applied throughout a person’s life. Throughout the country, studies have been performed regarding the importance of the arts. Some of these studies have shown that there is, in fact, a correlation between participation in arts programs and academic achievement. They have also proven that those who do not take art classes may have more difficulty mastering core subjects, face greater dropout rates or have more disciplinary problems than those who do. I believe art is a vital part of today’s education system. Elimination of art programs in schools across the country will only cause problems for students in the future. The arts provide balance, self-expression and creativity in schools. They enrich our society and our lives in countless ways. Without these things, students will be forced to conform and will never have the tools they need to think outside of the box. The arts are vitally important to all students, whether they believe it or not. You may or may not enjoy your fine arts classes, but please try to understand the importance of them in our culture and in our education system.