Spinning rides provide break from midterm whirls

Summer Ho, [email protected]

As midterms whirled everyone’s schedule and stress levels around, the Campus Activities Board organized two attractions during Homecoming Week: the “Mindwinder” and the “Gyro Sphere.”

If the puzzling exam questions had not confused students enough, the combination of the two rides surely did.

The two seater Gyro Sphere rotated riders 360 degrees at random speeds. “I feel good. It was fun, and I couldn’t stop laughing. I’ve been very stressed, and it’s something to do that’s not studying,” said Lillian Deroche, a sophomore mathematics major.

NASA originally designed a similar ride in the 1960’s for Apollo and Gemini astronauts. The gyroscope simulated balance, weightlessness and other turbulence experienced in midair or outer space.

Many participants got on the rides to take a break from classes and have fun with their friends.

“It was a little rough but less dizzy than the other one [Mindwinder],” said Macie Menesses, a senior dental hygiene major. “My patient just cancelled, and this put me in a better mood.”

The Mindwinder featured eight arms that spun tub-like chairs around in a wide circle. Individual tubs even had a turning table to further increase the speed according to the riders’ preference.

Madelyn French, a freshman occupational therapy major described the rides as “the rollercoaster of college that never stops spinning.”

According to CAB member Regginald Good the event aimed to help get students’ mind off midterm stress. “They just laugh the entire time,” said Regginald Good, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major.

Additionally, Moe’s Southwest Grill provided beef and chicken tacos nearby for the free lunch social. Hopefully, people made the correct decision of avoiding food before getting on the rides.