Net Neutrality: Possible New Monthly Bill

It’s been over a month since the Federal Communications Commission voted to repeal the net neutrality rules.

The discussion on net neutrality is far from dead.

The internet and the media are flooded with news and remarks on the death of a free internet.

While most members of the ULM community have yet to pick a side, the majority can agree that little is known about the issue at hand which is a problem.

While politicians try to fix the problem with political strategies, fast-food company Burger King had a different approach to communicating the idea of net neutrality.

They explained the principles of net neutrality with a social experiment dubbed Whopper Neutrality.

The fast-food chain company uploaded a video in which they pranked real customers by setting up access plans for the whopper sandwich.

There were three different access plans.

Whoever paid the most got the fastest whopper.

In the video, the customers appeared furious when they realize they need to pay extra for the same whopper.

Freshman computer science major David Hagensee, believes that we can still make a difference and get a neutral net back by appointing the proper officials whom can appoint the proper FCC to overturn this reclassification of internet provision.

“This move may restrict students like us, in our internet queries. If an ISP was so inclined, they could limit our college servers to not allow sites of political parties they dislike or sites of other ISPs for example, Hagensee added.

He said that by reminding students that with net neutrality gone, our money and internet freedom will be at stake, we can persuade them to keep informed and protest the new rules.

Activist Rob Bliss also had his own way to protest FCC’s moves.

Bliss fixated on the FCC chairman Ajit Pai’s idea of letting “innovators change the way millions of people live, without asking anyone’s permission.”

He created a ‘slow lane’ in the street in front of the FCC office by setting up cones and biking slowly.

Bliss had a “faster lane package” to allow the drivers to access the faster lane which would cost them five dollars.

His actions, obviously, were obstructed by the D.C. police.

However, his mockery of the FCC chairman’s remarks gained him a lot of media attention.

“People who want to advocate for net neutrality principles can act locally by petitioning their state representatives to require internet providers follow net neutrality guidelines to be eligible to enter into contracts with the state,” an assistant professor of communication Joshua L. Comer said.

Comer says that the change in net neutrality rules can bring benefits only to big businesses and hurt startups.

These benefits will come at a cost that the consumers will have to pay.

“Montana’s governor recently signed an executive order to that effect, and the legislatures of other states are working on bills along similar lines,” Comer added.

The death of net neutrality could restrict internet users from visiting their favorite sites or pay a higher premium for content.

Consumers may have to purchase different packages for music, social sites, videos and office apps.

Without net neutrality, the internet could become another utility bill.