Cajuns too Spicy to Handle for Warhawks


ULM hosted the league leading ULL Ragin Cajuns Saturday evening, looking to keep their conference winning streak alive.

But ULL would prove to be too much for the Warhawks as they lost 80-59.

ULM played well in the beginning, but struggled to connect on good looks from behind the arc.

The Warhawks struggled to get on the board in the opening minutes of the first half falling to an early 8-0 deficit.

Senior guard Jordan Harris knocked down the first basket for the Warhawks, but threes were already coming in bunches down on the other end of the court.

ULL shot three of four from behind the arc in the opening half.

ULM quickly turned things around as the offense began to heat up.

A quick basket from Harris followed by a fast break and one for senior guard Marvin Jean-Pierre accounted for five points to push the score to 8-11.

An amazing defensive display from the ULL starters kept the Warhawks on their heels and made scoring inside tough.

Their big man, Jakeenan Grant, gave his best Dikembe Mutombo impression by tallying four blocks within the first ten minutes of play.

ULM managed to keep a steady pace as their inside presence picked up, going on a 6-0 run to bring them within four.

The Warhawks found their way to the basket more mid first half but ULL continued to score on the other end by shooting 50% going into the locker room.

Despite the hot shooting from the Cajuns, ULM only trailed 33-38 at the half. The second half was an uphill battle for the Warhawks as they tried to shoot their way out of the hole.

They came out hitting only three for 12 field goals and going zero for five from three-point range to start the second.

The Cajuns continued their shooting showcase however, going on a 21-5 run capped off by a monster dunk by guard Malik Marquetti.

The run gave them their biggest lead of the game at 21 points with a little over 10 minutes left in regulation.

After the huge momentum swing things seemed to fall apart for the Warhawks.

They were unable to get anything to fall from deep in the second half, going zero for eight.

They turned these rebounding opportunities into points, connecting on 60% of the shots they took in the second half.

This shooting performance from ULL made it hard for the Warhawks to get back into the game.

The Cajuns took their largest lead by 28 points with about four minutes left to play, and by that time, the lead was too great to overcome.

The Warhawks will look to bounce back on Thursday, Feb. 8 when they welcome UT-Arlington to Fant Ewing Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.