SGA, Bruno waive [some] fees for Wintersession, Maymester

SGA officers Marina DeSilva, Trevor Hall, Brook Sebren and Brooke Dugas

The University of Louisiana at Monroe has passed a proposal which now waives fees appli­cable during Wintersession and Maymester. All university fees and student-self assessed fees are now eliminated.

The proposal was unanimous­ly passed by the UL System Board of Supervisors after Presi­dent Nick Bruno’s approval.

The proposal was proposed by the Student Government Asso­ciation and became active Win­tersession 2010.

Brook Sebren, a senior from Rayville, is SGA’s president and was excited to get the fees waved.

“The decision to waive the fees began in a discussion be­tween the Provost, the Interim President Dr. Richters and my­self over the summer,” Sebren said.

The presidential search put the process on hold, but the discussion reemerged and Presi­dent Bruno immediately en­dorsed the proposal.

Students at ULM are very ex­cited about the new proposal.

Ashleigh Wallace, senior el­ementary education major from Alexandria, is thankful to the SGA and President Bruno.

“It’s like a gift from the uni­versity, and I appreciate it,” Wal­lace said.

The reason for the proposal was to provide financial relief for students taking classes dur­ing Wintersession and Mayme­ster. With greatly used univer­sity facilities such as the Activity Center and the Student Success Center closed, administrators believed it was fair to waive the fees.

LaZedrick Blackshire, junior from Shreveport, believes that the proposal was a good idea.

“It’s an opportunity to catch up on some classes for a cheaper price and most students are tak­ing advantage of it,” Blackshire said.

Intersessions, such as Win­tersession and Maymester, al­low students the opportunity to advance in their degree require­ments outside a regularly sched­uled fall, spring and/or summer semester.

The University hopes that by waiving the fees, it will provide students with a more affordable opportunity to progress in, and shorten the completion time of their degrees.