Warhawks drop two straight

ULM invited Sun Belt Con­ference leaders North Texas in to town on last Thursday. The Warhawks got off to a shaky start after being dismantled early by North Texas guard Tristan Thompson, who’s 5-6 3-point shooting night helped him finished with a game-high 30 points.

ULM’s Gilbert tied with the team high with forward Tommy Sykes both tallying 15 points. ULM went into the break, down 34-28. North Texas came out hot after the break scoring of five of its first six field goal at­tempts to push their lead to 14. ULM would never fully recover only narrowing their margin to seven before losing composure towards the end of the game los­ing 79-62.

The Warhawks then trav­eled down south, to Lafayette to battle the Ragin’ Cajuns in the Cajun Dome on Saturday. ULM had a great shooting night, shooting 49.2 from the field while connecting on 8-13 3-pointers but, it was the char­ity strip that proved to be un­kind to the Warhawks, shooting a season worst 7-16 from the line. Despite their great shoot­ing and a strong showing from Forward Tommie Sykes, whose team-high 21 points and seven rebounds, the Warhawks fell 84- 75.

Freshman guard Marcelis Hanberry had his coming out party with a career high 15 off the bench `Junior Fred Brown fouled out with eleven minutes to play in the second half. After this past weekend’s two losses the Warhawks are only 6-15 for the season and last in the Sun­belt with a 1-6 record in con­ference play. ULM will try and right the ship Thursday Janu­ary, 27 as they take on Arkansas State on the road.

contact Jerry Cox at

[email protected]