JCPenney boosts students confidence with style upgrades

Prajal Prasai

SALE: Students were given an extra discount to kick off career week.

Career Connections, in combination with retail giant JCPenney, kicked off career week in high fashion, or rather with high fashion, thanks to the sale they put on for ULM students.
Sunday, Feb. 18, career week kicked off down the road from campus at Pecanland Mall. JCPenney opened its doors to students from three different universities. LA Tech and Grambling were also present at the event, but the local university (ULM) brought the biggest crowd out.
Anna Gasperecz, the coordinator for development in the office of Career Connections, and her staff manned the check-in desk for ULM.
“It’s our kickoff event to career week. Students, faculty and staff can bring their ID and get 40 percent off dress attire.” Gasperecz said
Isaac Hardman, a senior risk management major, made sure to be at the event early. Career Connections and JCP were kind enough to let students in before the scheduled kickoff time, so they could have an ample amount of time to shop.
“I just need to be prepared for any interviews I may have. I’m glad that Career Connections is helping us out with this, because it is hard to find affordable clothes on a college budget,” Hardman said.
Preparing for upcoming interviews was on everybody’s mind. A vast majority of students were seniors looking for the perfect interview appropriate outfit. With the average price of a suit just under the $300 mark and very much over a college student’s budget, JCPenney really did a service to the ULM community with their event.
Other than the discount on dress attire, students were also invited to Sephora, inside JCPenney, to be given mini makeovers and a free consultation.
Heath Kimball, a freshman biology major, works at Sephora as a product consultant, and was on hand to guide girls and even guys through the world of make-up.
“I show people what will be best for them, in the most general sense possible. We’re here to show them what’s interview appropriate. We have products for all genders. Guys are welcome to come in, and we’ll even help them out,” Kimball said.
Refreshments were served at the event beside the red carpet. Style consultants were on hand for both men and women. They served the purpose of educating students on proper dress attire for interviews and meetings.
Career Connections hopes that during and after career week, students gain the abilities and resources necessary to navigate the job market successfully thanks to them.
Other than career week, Career Connections hosts events throughout the school year to help students attain a career after graduation.