Grad Finale: Seniors prepare for graduation, vendors come on campus

Graduation is right around the corner. 31 Ambassadors hosted the Spring 2018 Grad Finale Tuesday. The event kicked off at 10 a.m. and went on until 3 p.m.
Upcoming graduates were welcomed to a decorated bookstore filled with balloons and booths to prepare students for graduation. Students could buy their class rings, graduation photos and cap and gowns. There was a good flow of students who were graduating this spring going in to buy their graduation caps and gowns.
There were six booths: Career Connections, Office of Financial Aid and Services, the ULM Athletic Foundation, director and representatives from the bookstore and Balfour. During the event, employees helped the students prepare for graduation and a life after college. The Alumni Association and 31 Ambassadors provided 10 percent off caps and gowns to the students after they signed up. The signup fee was $35 for students.
“We organize this event every semester in association with the Alumni Association for the ease of students. The vendors here are helping the graduating seniors to prepare for the big turn in their life. We get good feedback from the students, so we will be conducting this event in the further days to come,” president of 31 Ambassadors, Matthew Thornhill, said.
The Office of Career Connections was there to guide students with various forms needed to fill out to apply for potential job. The representative helped students prepare for the new world and how to secure a position there.
“I am really excited about the graduation. I got a really good discount in my graduation cap and gown. I thought the price would be more, but it is quite reasonable here,” senior dental hygiene major Payton Jackson said.
Balfour, the leading company in manufacturing class rings and publishing yearbooks, was there taking orders from students for their class rings and giving them discounts too.
“The event has had a nice turn out. It is the second time the event was conducted in the bookstore,” bookstore cashier Amanda Lowe said.
Representatives from the financial aid office offered exit counselling that provided the students with an overview of how student loans can be cleared.
“I did not know about that. Now, I can plan about clearing the debts after I graduate. It was quite helpful to talk with them,” Jackson said.
Students appreciated the move to the bookstore.
“The event is better here than it was in the SUB. The vendors were telling us where to go, what to do to find a job. I got the credible information about the rings too. I will also get the photo in my mail, and I can purchase it if I want,” senior psychology major Crystal Price said.
The Grad Finale is the beginning stage of preparing seniors for their long-awaited day.