Women in the workplace, why they deserve respect

Women make up over half of the population in the world. However, their participation in leadership roles isn’t enough considering their large population.
Even one of the most powerful countries, the U.S., hasn’t had a female president yet.
In context of our university, I am pleased to see women in powerful positions. They are department heads, involved with the International Student Office, Career Connections, the Student Success Center and many more departments.
Considering the student body, women also hold leadership roles in some of the Registered Student Organizations (RSOs).
However, I believe the participation of women in the leadership roles is not high enough compared to membership. Women are still shy to show up for leadership roles. Some of us still underestimate ourselves simply because we are females.
We tend to forget that women are superior in terms of tolerance, organization and planning than men.
We can, of course, achieve any dream if we aim for it and work accordingly.
So, I believe every woman on campus should come forward and stand up for themselves regardless of gender identity!
These days women have started working in the corporate world, which was primarily a man’s world at one point. Women were once expected to only raise children, handle household chores, cook food and take good care of their husbands.
However, the case has changed today. Women are educated, and are aware of their rights and capabilities. Women have stepped out of their houses to make their mark in a male-dominated world.
Now, an ideal woman is expected to handle her work, career, house and children.
You could say women have to be an “all-rounder.” I am happy that women across the country continue to become more and more conscious of their rights. Earning your own income is a step towards independence, too.
What haunts me is that women are still being harassed in their workplaces. This can bring uncertainty and fear into their lives.
According to Cosmopolitan, which surveyed 2,235 full-time and part-time female employees, one in three women aged 18 to 34 experienced sexual harassment at work at some point in their lives.
81 percent of women experience harassment in verbal form. Statistics say that only 29 percent of them are reported, while only 15 percent of the reported felt that the report was handled fairly.
According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, sexual harassment is not an industry-specific problem, but some work environments are worse.
For instance, male-dominated industries like construction, where women are seen as interlopers, and service-based industries, where employers rely on tips and customer approval are a couple of examples.
I advocate for raising our voices against any form of sexual harassment and punishing the culprit. The problem goes unnoticed if we do not speak out for our safety and a more peaceful environment.
A good working environments is necessary for anyone to grow and excel in their work.
The thing that really disheartens me is the stereotyped definition of beauty that we tend to follow as women.
A beautiful woman is one with a perfect body and fair skin. We have not learned to accept the way we are.
Rude, contemptuous memes regarding darker complexions, fat bodies or extremely thin bodies of women are posted on social media quite often. Women are greatly sexualized online and sadly, we are influenced by them.
Women, themselves, make fun of other women.
Those of us who are heavily influenced by these stereotypes of beauty tend to have low self-esteem and start comparing ourselves to others. This behavior can also lead to depression. Many try artificial ways, such as surgeries, to get the “beauty” advertised by media. I highly disagree with these stereotypes, and encourage all women to rise above the beauty of body.
In my opinion, we women are beautiful no matter how we look. We should focus on the spiritual and behavioral aspect of our personality.
We should not be afraid to take up a challenge just because we are females.
We must move forward ignoring the body shaming, fear and doubt that comes with being a woman.
Women supporting women to make lives better all-around is the way to go.