Starbucks receives facelift

Jodie Faulk, a junior art major walked into Starbucks one day when she saw the construction. Faulk realized that ULM maybe replacing the awning in front of the University Suites dorm, which she thought was a great idea.

“I think it’s definitely not a bad idea to fix the awnings; they were pretty short and couldn’t protect many people from weather,” Faulk said.

“Hopefully, they will make the one in front of Starbucks extra-long to have the tables in the shade.”

And, Faulk was right. Renovations are under way on the ULM campus.

Talk filled the air concerning obvious renovations near the University Suites dorm. Students were understandably curious and surprised by the construction, fearing Starbucks was getting replaced.

However, students can rest easy because that is not the case. The area surrounding the dorm is simply getting a “face-lift.”

“We are replacing the wooden canopy with a metal one, which will blend in with the roof of the library and University Suites– that maroon metal look,” said Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises, Tommy Walpole.

The new awning will begin at the double door entrance to University Suites, next to La Capitol Federal Credit Union, and end after Starbucks. This will give students more cover from the ever-changing weather. Louisiana is known for its fluctuating weather. Just this semester, the ULM campus has seen snow storms, flooding and tornadoes.

The new awning will be made out of sturdier material and will be wider than the old one to help with the weather issue.

“Once the new canopy reaches Starbucks, it will widen out another four feet to provide a covered seating area with fans,” said Walpole.

Tyler Gerfers, the director for Chi Alpha Campus Ministry is excited about all of the changes coming to ULM.

“I’m on campus every day, and Starbucks is definitely one of my go-to places,” he said.

Gerfers said that the renovations on campus have been “great improvements” and definitely help “meet the needs of students” looking to relax or take a break from studying.

The previous wooden awning was removed over spring break, “so as to not interfere with the students who live there and those who utilize the businesses on the first floor,” Walpole said.

`The new and improved awning is being manufactured at this very moment. Installation will begin the Monday after graduation and should be completed just before the first PREP session this summer.

University Suites isn’t the only building getting an upgrade. Renovations are taking place all over campus.

The Bayou Pointe Event Center, another one of ULM’s newest projects, recently opened for use. Brown stadium is in its final stages of renovation and a ribbon-cutting ceremony was held at the new Groseclose track Friday.

The ULM Baptist Collegiate Ministries (BCM) began construction on its new building at the end of the Spring 2017 semester and looks forward to having more space for students to congregate.