Eating well in your dorm room

As a college student, bad eating habits are a given even if you have a meal plan. Schulze stays open till 8 p.m., and that’s only Monday through Thursday. So, the alternative for a healthy meal is either a killer cup of ramen noodles or grilled cheese courtesy of your ironing board.

Upon entering the first semester of college, students are always warned about the infamous freshman 15. Being able to choose what you eat plays a role. Bad eating habits can cause tiredness and contribute to stress.

You can’t study on an empty stomach, let alone potato chips and soda. Healthy eating will reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity. You will also gain energy, which is another major key to get through the day.

Findings from a national survey conducted in 2005 indicated that “three out of ten college students are either overweight or obese. Nine out of ten students eat fewer than five servings of fruits and vegetables per day.”

Being overweight and obese are not the same thing. If your body mass index (BMI) is higher than 30.0, then it falls within the obese range.
Research published in the “Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior” found that students struggled to afford balanced meals in the last month.

Also, 62 percent couldn’t afford to buy fruits and vegetables. Students should aim to consume two servings of fruits and five servings of vegetables each day. Developing healthy eating habits is important. Just like any other sport or art, it won’t be easy. Discipline paired with a cheat day here and there will go a long way.

Meal prepping combined with exercise can be a great way to stay fit. It can be hard to meal prep when you live on campus with a small income. Here are some quick, easy-to-make alternatives:

6 Healthy Snack Alternatives:

1. Hummus: Packed with protein and fiber, this can be paired with veggies and pretzels.
  2. Trail Mix: This can be bought in many ways. It is loaded with fiber and protein, and if you really want to spice it up, add dark chocolate chips or dried fruit.
  3. Microwaved potato chips: Take 15 minutes from studying and cut up some potatoes. Add a little salt and pepper, and you’ve got an alternative from greasy Lays.
  4. Frozen banana poppers: Dip some sliced bananas into your favorite yogurt and pop them in the freezer. They are a great source of potassium.
  5. Peanut butter fruit dip: Just add peanut butter, Greek yogurt and honey. They complement your favorite fruits.
  6. And, of course, add Nutella to EVERYTHING. It tastes like chocolate, yet the hazelnuts add a boost of health to your heart.

It takes approximately 21 days to develop a habit. By implementing these snack alternatives into your diet, you’re already on track to live your best life.