Spring Fever: Warhawks claw their way to annual crawfish boil

The day was hot but the crawfish was even hotter at the annual Spring Fever Crawfish Boil last Tuesday.

Over a thousand students flocked to the baseball field to enjoy free crawfish, potatoes and corn sponsored by Campus Activities Board.

“We usually expect a pretty huge turnout for the crawfish boil, but this year even more people came,” said Ashley Hunter, the vice president of CAB.

Students knew that the crawfish line was going to be long, so they began lining up at 5 p.m., over an hour before the event begin.

The boil took place during the ULM baseball game vs McNeese, but most students didn’t come for the game, students like Prakriti Paudel came for the free food.

The accounting junior said the baseball game was ok, but she did not stay to watch the game.

She really went and stood in line for the free crawfish.

She said she tries to attend several ULM events, but this one fit perfectly in her schedule.

“Most events are normally during the day when I have classes or work, but the crawfish boil was at the perfect time this year,” said Paudel.

The event lasted from 6 p.m. until the crawfish ran completely out.

Students went back for seconds, thirds, and fourths while enjoying the game and the CAB sponsored giveaway.

“I actually was expecting the crawfish not to be seasoned well,” said freshman Shylon Francis.

The Biology major was surprised that the crawfish was seasoned well even though the southern delicacy was cooked in north Louisiana.

“I had high expectations because I’m from South Louisiana, I know how crawfish should taste,” said Francis. 

Francis encourages more students to attend next year’s Crawfish Boil.

He felt like he was back at home after eating crawfish and hanging out with his friends.

He said the food was great and CAB members served each and every student with a warm smile.

The Crawfish Boil was just one of the many events offered during Spring Fever 2018.