Alphas “jump off” new semester with annual party

Kandace Moss, [email protected]

Students strolled, danced and jigged their way into the new semester through Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.’s annual “Jump-Off” party Thursday night. 

This year, admission into the event was $3 and with a school supply, students were able to get into the party with a one dollar discount. The fraternity donates the supplies to elementary schools in the area. 

The event served as an “after-party” to the annual National Panhellenic Council “Week of Welcome” Yard Show. Students felt that it was a great transition from the energetic stroll competition to the lively party. 

Senior pre-speech pathology major Marzetta Scott felt this party was just what she needed after an incredibly long summer. 

“It was a long summer and it’s great to be back celebrating the new school year with my friends and sorority sisters. It was lit”, Scott said.

From freshmen to seniors and international to graduate students, all of the participants of the party seemed to truly enjoy themselves, especially senior music major Nishant Shrestha. The first-time attendee didn’t know what to expect but was open to experiencing a new event on-campus. 

“It was an exciting and interesting experience,” Shrestha said.

Brown Gym was filled with bopping music provided from local DJ and ULM graduate Chris Williams, also known as DJ Blucabrasi. 

The Alphas hold various events on-campus throughout the fall and spring semesters.