Style, fun prepare students for adult life

Bailey Wray, [email protected]

With back flips, engagement announcements and a rockin’ guitar solo, this year’s Career Style Show kept the audience at the edge of their seats the entire time.
According to Roslynn Pogue, director of the office of Career Connections, the goal of the annual show is “for the students to support each other and have fun, while learning life-long lessons.” Students learned how to dress appropriate and stylish at the same time.
Anna Bennett, a construction management freshman, loved the entertainment provided in the show and said her favorite part was the “fun walk” at the end.
The models took the opportunity to have fun and be creative, many of them changing into exciting costumes and dancing around the stage.
This year’s crowd favorites were Danny Jones and Cindy Ho.
As a Prep Staffer and a Hawkseeker, Jones frequently gets asked about his favorite event on campus and the annual Career Style Show is his go-to reply.
“It’s a super fun way to display what to wear and what not to wear,” said Jones, a risk management insurance junior.
“In all honesty, for my outfit, I just went into H&M knowing they would have stylistic, bomb yet affordable clothes. It also helps that my awesome friend Chuck coached me up a little bit on how to dress,” Jones added.
Jones was also the judges’ choice winner along with Riley Cooper.
The style show opened with a skit by the Campus Activities Board. Phillip Vu-Nguyen, a health study management senior, and other Cabbies, showed how a person’s hiring chances improve depending on how they present themselves during an interview.
The style show also provided an opportunity to students like Michael Hollman to introduce themselves to the student body.
Hollaman, who was encouraged to participate by one of his friends, was pleasantly surprised by the positive energy of the audience.
“When you walk into an interview, the first thing they are going to notice is the way you dress. The way you dress is an extension of how you feel about and take care of yourself and what you represent,” said Hollman, a risk management insurance freshman.
“I truly believe that everyone should participate in the style show. The audience creates such a positive energy for everyone that walks out on that runway,” Hollman said.
Throughout the show, the audience had the chance to answer business etiquette questions and win prizes. This, along with the fun music, gave the viewers a chance to be a part of the show and created a fun atmosphere for everyone involved.