Just vote, it will benefit everyone in the long run

Niko Perez, [email protected]

Voting has been around for many generations. Dating back from early Grecian times, a man named Solon established the first sophisticated form of democracy.
Through this act of public spirit, every citizen was granted the right to vote as opposed to only the rich people.
This enhanced the morale of the people, and a sense of equality became evident. In today’s society, its prevalence lingers and is difficult to miss. In my opinion, it is imperative that students take the opportunity to use voting as a platform to make a difference at their university.
Besides education, athletic, and student organizations, voting has become one of the most essential parts of college life. Through voting, the voices of the student body can be heard, which is why it is held with high significance.
Regardless of any major or classification, every student can vote and have an input on the issue. By doing so, it builds a sense of trust and develops the relationship between the student and their university.
Especially when their vote passes, they can feel that they have made an impact, no matter how trivial or serious the issue was. It provides students the feeling of being a part of something bigger than just themselves.
By asking for the student’s opinion, the students can feel that their college cares about them. When a college passes a law or addresses issues without a referendum, the power brings animosity and divides the university and its student body.
Voting creates this compromise and spreads the power of the people in charge to the masses.
As a student, it is an academic duty for that student to be able to give their contributions. Being active has a lot of benefits. If a student is paying for an education that they value, they should be able to voice their opinion on everything that goes on within that institution. A student must be given an option whether or not they wish to vote. Nothing should be forced upon, nor taken away from them.
It is their choice, but nevertheless, a responsibility that a majority of students are willing to have. The saying “every vote counts” remains true. Even one vote matter because it will add up to the big picture, and in some occasions, it could be the deciding factor that will break a tie.
Colleges should always encourage their students to vote. Not only for the fact that it is ethical, but also because voting comes with valuable lessons that students can develop during or carry with them after college.
It is preparing them for the path of maturity by helping them to be more concern about the real world.
Essentially, a good voter takes every angle and makes logical decisions. It requires paying attention to details, and thus, they become knowledgeable about the world around them. Aside from being an active voter, students must lead by example.
It is important to encourage their peers to vote. It is like the philosophy, “monkey see, monkey do.” A vote of one is better when it can influence more people. After all, it is what this great nation is built upon.
Through the years of countless votes, the brilliant minds of the government and its citizens cooperated together to create a better future.
Therefore, voting is a tradition that should never be broken, but instead, strengthen for more generations to come.