Pharmacy students fight flu on campus

Students from ULM’s pharmacy school held a clinic outside the Student Union Building on Wednesday where they gave out free flu shots and educated people on things like diabetes and cholesterol.
Rachel Pecora, a second-year pharmacy student, said this year the pharmacy students were able to provide more information on diabetes and blood pressure as well as provide services for students to check blood pressure and glucose levels.
Pecora also said that the free flu clinic was created so that students did not have to spend money on getting a flu shot from places like Walgreens and CVS but could spend that on other necessities.
“You know flu shots can be expense depending on what kind of insurance you have and as college students, we understand they’re reluctant to get a flu shot when you have to pay for groceries and everything else,” Pecora said.
Indeed, students like Destinee Woods, a junior pre-pharmacy major, took the opportunity to get the shot since it was at no cost and convenient due to being given on campus.
Ziying Zhao, a second-year pharmacy student, shared that the pharmacy students were able to provide more vaccinations than last year because of a grant they received. Other than the grant donation, Walgreens donated the needles needed for the shots.
Woods remarked that the flu clinic was beneficiary for ULM students and faculty, because it will decrease the likelihood of getting the flu on campus as well as spread awareness about flu shots and their importance.
While some of the pharmacy students gave shots, others checked blood pressures and share awareness of diabetes.
Mary Mcvay, a sophomore nursing major, said she was grateful for the chance to get a free flu shot on campus.
“I like that they do this on campus, because I believe since it gives the campus easy access to the flu shot more people are likely to receive one,” Mcvay said.
Presenters at the flu clinic shared the importance of knowing your family’s medical history. They also urged everyone to go to their yearly health check-ups, even if they feel fine.
According to them, whether you are sick or in perfect condition, it is important to at least go to the doctor’s office once a year for a check-up.
The center for disease control shares that by going to your yearly check-ups, you are helping your doctor find problems early on, thus, giving yourself a better chance to live longer. Doing this also gives your doctor updated information on your lifestyle choices, age, health conditions and family medical records.