Start spring semester with positivity

Some of us are looking at our fall semester grades and saying “YIKES.”

Maybe we didn’t study enough, get enough rest or we couldn’t recover from post-Thanksgiving burnout.

The start of spring semester is a chance for us to redeem ourselves, our GPA  and probably our self-confidence.

It’s also the start of the new year which brings a sense of a blank slate. Here’s how to put that energy into having a good spring semester.

1. Self-reflection

The first step requires some introspection. Ask yourself some easy questions to start.

What went right? If you can’t come up with a lot of answers to this, move on to the next question: What went wrong?

This could be a number of things. Not properly managing one’s time is a common one. Maybe it wasn’t a particularly great idea to agree to go out to eat with your friends when you should have been studying.

This isn’t the time to berate yourself and mope over the things you didn’t do. 

Focus on the new opportunity in front of you, instead of your           perceived failures.

2. Detailed planning

Next is to make a plan that’s tailored to your needs, wants and feelings. Come up with some goals and break them down in your mind.

Be very specific as to not overwhelm yourself. Make sure they’re actually something achievable.

Putting down “getting straight A’s” is one thing, but it’s important to plan out exactly what steps must be done to accomplish your overall goals.

Try not to tell anyone about your goals.

In our minds, just telling someone about it gives you a premature feeling of success and completeness. You feel a sense of pride in letting someone know your intentions and that pride can be detrimental later on.   

3. Self-care

Lastly, make sure to implement some self-care in whatever form that means to you.

Sometimes, it isn’t always bubble baths and buying yourself something nice. Sometimes, its cutting off negative friends or setting yourself up with a counselor to talk about bigger issues. Whatever it is, be sure to do it. You can only accomplish so much with a heavy mind and spirit.