‘Green space’ to be furnished

The green space, a part of ULM’s master renovation plan, is presented as an area on campus where students can enjoy the university’s environment. Currently, the exposed land is empty, except for stretches of greenery that can be considered Sandel Hall’s backyard.

The plan details the green space as an “orientational plaza supporting the reconfiguration of Sandel Hall.” The proposal is supposed to create a “front door” corner plaza on the Garrett site to help Sandel be recognized as a central orientation point and student services facility.

In President Nick Bruno’s message about the ULM Master Plan, he said, “We are striving for a smaller, more technically efficient physical manifestation of our institution, while always maintaining the identity and the beauty of our campus.”

The Master Plan identifies intervention zones for proposed improvements, and Northeast Drive Gateway and Garrett Plaza is one of those zones. Northeast Drive and University Avenue are key entrance points to the university. The Master Plan called for enhancements to the area which included the demolition of Garrett Hall.

Garrett Hall was chosen for demolition because of its age, spatial redundancy and its location as a key entrance point to the university.

What was once Garrett Hall is now a conceptual art project that will be outfitted at some point with walkways, trees and a fountain. The walkways will reinforce foot traffic in this area, and the trees will extend along Northeast Drive, out to the campus edge at Highway 165.

While this architectural endeavor may liven up the external appearance of the university, the practical use and student application for the green space needs to be taken into account.

“I’ve got high hopes for what the green space could be ,”said Darin Turner, a sophomore social work major. “It already sets itself apart from other spots on campus just based on appearance alone,” Turner said.

Perception of the aesthetically appealing green space by students ranges from a trivial afterthought to outright disagreement.

Students who commute to the campus daily are dumbfounded the fresh landmark was not immediately stamped into a new parking lot. The increasing enrollment rate of students and lack of proper parking should not become a coinciding issue.

“I am not a fan of the green space by Sandel. I’m a commuter. It would make sense for a parking lot to be placed there, so the students would not have to walk through the freezing cold just to go to class” said Ethan Poland, a junior communication         advocacy major.

Construction of Garrett Hall began in 1961 and was completed in 1962. The hall was named for Franklin Garrett who was considered the father of the modern parish school system. Although Garrett Hall no longer stands, Franklin Garrett’s dedication to learning goes on as ULM continues to grow and thrive.

Universities must maintain certain areas where there is visible, healthy greenery to brighten up the institution’s appeal.

So, while there are students that argue for a potential parking lot, the fact remains that the green space has its administrative foundation and will have additions added on.