Softball returners to watch for

ULM Hawkeye

Sydney McKay-OF

ULM’s batting average leader from a year ago, senior outfielder Sydney McKay is the name of the game for the Warhawks. McKay batted a robust .385. She also led the Sun Belt in both runs scored and hits with 47 and 75, respectively. She was in the top 25 of all of Division I in both hits and runs-per-game. McKay also added on 19 steals and a team leading 34 RBIs. McKay was not just a good batter, though. She excelled in the field with a .980 fielding percentage. She committed only two errors all year. Her dominant junior year granted her a place on the First-Team All-Sun Belt.

What to look for this season: McKay has led the Warhawks in hits two years in a row and there is no reason why she wouldn’t another year. Don’t forget she’s got speed as well with 86 career stolen bases.

Jayden Mount-INF

ULM legacy and junior shortstop, Jayden Mount, is a Warhawk to watch keenly. As a freshman, Mount started in all 57 games she appeared in. She flew over expectations with a .355 batting average. That average ranked 11th in the Sun Belt Conference. After such a successful freshman year, Mount came back with a dominant year.  She soared above even her own lofty standards. Mount’s batting average rose to .379. As impressive of a number as her batting average was, her on-base percentage was better at .561. Mount lead the Sun Belt. These impressive stats placed Mount on the Second All-Sun Belt team.

What to look for this season: Mount is nearing a ULM record. The junior shortstop has been hit by 25 pitches, putting her within reach of ULM’s all-time record of 38.

Jessie Watts-INF/P
The Gonzalez native rising junior, Jessie Watts, is both a position player and a pitcher. She’s one of the most unique players on the roster. In her two seasons, Watts has pitched in over 120 innings. Her sophomore year, Watts was a part of three complete games. Watts has nine wins and five saves in that time as well. As a batter, Watts has seen situational appearances. As a freshman, she was played in 58 games and started in 51. Over the two years, she has 40 hits including nine doubles within the two years.

What to look for this season: More two way play. Watts will be important in mentoring the freshman pitchers on roster. Watts’ experience both on the mound and batting will be an invaluable asset to have for the team.