NAACP hosts black history game night

Imagine being thrust into a fast-paced “Kahoot!” game night where your “black card” is on the line. This was the case for ULM students who attended the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s (NAACP) “What Do You Know” game night.

This event took place at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday in Stubbs 100 and featured questions from a popular card game called “Black Card Revoked.”

“Black Card Revoked” is a game wherein players discuss and debate black culture in America by answering questions based on their experiences growing up as an African American. Denisha Jackson, co-chair for NAACP’s social action committee said the game night was a definite success.

“We got students to come together and be social while learning about black history. This game night was a fun and educational way to prepare for the celebration of our history, culture and black excellence,” said Jackson, a sophomore psychology and marketing double major.

Jackson also said that using “Kahoot!,” an online, interactive game, made the night easy and fair.

“Everyone had access to the question at the same time, and the scores were easy to keep track of,” Jackson said.

Colby Pogue, a sophomore accounting major, placed second and said he had an amazing experience.

“I did not expect to win! There were so many intelligent people sitting with me in that room. I honestly surprised myself with how much I knew about Black History,” Pogue said.

The top three finishers were Chiemeka Onyemechara in first, Colby Pogue in second and Kearra Odums in third.

One participant, junior pre-pharmacy major Regginald Good, expected the games to be centered around African American trivia seeing that the game night was so close to the beginning of black history month. He also expected to win.

“I was almost able to pull off a victory based on a mix of knowledge, luck and people who would blurt out the answers, because they were so excited. The knowledge I did have came from reading and my grandparents’ history lessons that usually came during this time of the year,” Good said.

Although he didn’t place, Good said he had a great time would recommend NAACP events to people in the future without a doubt.

“Most events we have are for people to have fun while becoming more aware of the issues we face today. They also teach about past events that lead to today’s America. NAACP events are definitely a way to become more cultured,” Good said.

The social action committee’s next event is R&B karaoke at 6 p.m. on Feb. 12 at 6 PM in CNSB 100. However, NAACP has many upcoming events in February for Black History Month including a black history edition of Family Feud  and “Painting with a Purpose,” which is similar to “Painting with a Twist.”

Jackson said, “We are looking forward to seeing new faces and having the opportunity to advocate, teach and reach out to other students on ULM’s campus through our upcoming events.”