Blood supply low

We are at a critical blood supply level, according to a recent press release made by LifeShare Blood Center.

A safe inventory level of blood for LifeShare is a three-day supply for each blood type. Currently the most common blood type, Type O, has reached a critically low level.

“People do not realize the impact that one donation can have on a patient’s outcome,” said Hannah Heyl, a junior medical laboratory science major.

One donation of blood can help up to three different patients. Blood can be donated every 56 days with the process usually taking less than an hour.

Last semester LifeShare spent a week encouraging students and faculty to donate blood. Throughout the week they have multiple blood drives around town in an effort to maintain blood supply levels. Unfortunately, supply levels have been low for a while now.

Kaile Finies, a senior art major, is a constant blood donor to LifeShare.

“I’ve donated twice before when the LifeShare busses were on campus,” Finies said.

A recent poll for ULM students showed that less than 12 percent of students had donated blood in the last six months, but nearly 30 percent had considered doing so. According to Finies, there’s a variety of reasons why students don’t donate blood. One of the leading myths regarding blood donations is you can’t donate if you have a tattoo.

According to the Red Cross, you can donate blood if you’ve had a tattoo that was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needs and unused ink.

LifeShare encourages existing and potential donors to visit one of their blood centers or mobile drives to donate. An appointment isn’t necessary.