Louisiana graduates leave for alleged Texas benefits

One of the many problems facing the Louisiana educational system is that too many teachers are just attaining their degree and then moving out of state.
Many students like Tara Simpson agree with this viewpoint.
“There just isn’t much for me here in Louisiana. I feel as though I can make more money and achieve more in Texas where I’ll be on my own,” said Simpson, a sophomore elementary education major.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average pay for a Louisiana teacher is $45,430 a year compared to Texas where educators get paid $53,335 per academic year.
However, “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side” said Molly Hill, a ULM education instructor.
“Texas educators only seem to make more money because of the select amount of schools in Texas which are a part of an independent school district,” Hill said.
According to Hill, salaries and bonuses are determined by the district rather than the state. Across the state of Texas, large changes in teachers’ salaries will be more compared to Louisiana. The pay is higher throughout most of the state because of the state’s mandate.
Hill said another perk of Louisiana is that it does not take much to be a phenomenal educator in the state because state standards have made the curriculum simple to follow.
All curriculum for Louisiana public schools can be found on the Louisiana Believes webpage. This webpage goes over what a student needs to know for each grade before progressing to the next one.
Another reason Hill said education majors should stay in Louisiana is because of her own dream. Hill was consumed by the idea of educating the area she grew up in.
Watching her community grow and develop has brought her much joy over the span of her life.
She said that she loves walking through the halls of her old elementary school during her residency observations as it brings back the nostalgia from her childhood. She said she hopes one day that her own daughter will attend the same elementary school that she herself attended as a young student.
Sophomore elementary education major Brandon Williams had a similar opinion.
“I plan to stay in Louisiana because this is where my family is,” Williams said.
Hill said that “circumstance” is the first reason as to why a person plans to stay or leave Louisiana, and Williams’ circumstance to stay is because of his obligation to his family.
“It is my job to make sure that my family is taken care of,” Williams said.
There are countless other reasons for Louisiana educators to stay local, but it is ultimately up to the students themselves to decide what path they are going to take.