College Republicans group lack leadership, disband

Blaine Warren, [email protected]

When a student begins their college experience, a few things might be running through their head. One of their initial thoughts is probably, “How do I get involved on campus?” If the student has an interest in politics, they might then decide to look into political organizations at ULM.

ULM’s College Republicans, which is the organization responsible for mobilizing students to conservative political actions, officially disbanded this semester.

For students who identify as Republican or conservative, this means they can’t find a place to be politically active on campus with like-minded students.

Irma Hernandez said she took no pleasure in the ULM College Democrats’ opposing organization’s demise.

“When the upperclassmen who led the organization graduated, the underclassmen did not continue the organization in their absence,” said Hernandez, the College Democrats’ president.

Hernandez said that theoretically College Democrats could meet the same fate as College Republicans once she and her fellow officers graduate.

Dr. Jessica Schofield said she would oversee College Republicans if there were students who were interested in bringing the organization back, but so far there has been no movement to bring it back.

Schofield said she believes a lack of initiative and leadership drove College Republicans to disappear from ULM’s campus.

“So far, no one has expressed enough continued support for the organization. No one’s leading the movement,” said Schofield, faculty adviser for College Democrats.

Research conducted by the Pew Research Center routinely reveals that college campuses are some of the most liberal places in America.

This is largely because the higher an individual’s education level is, the higher the likelihood that they are left of center on a political scale.

In 2018, 58 percent of people with college degrees identified as Democrats while 36 percent identified as Republicans and six percent identified with a third party.

Because of this, it can be difficult to find students who are seniors or juniors and are also politically conservative. 

College Democrats have already registered and organized events, as well as sent presentations to collegiate political meetings.

If College Republicans haven’t already hit the ground running this semester, it’s unlikely that they’ll be hitting the ground at all. According to Schofield, until a group of students come along who are conservative, politically motivated and possess leadership abilities, College Republicans will continue to be inactive.