Warhawks split pair of Sun Belt matches in Georgia


After a slow start in conference play, first year head coach Charlie Olson and the Warhawks got the monkey off their back, splitting two away matches in Georgia.
ULM opened the week against Georgia Southern, winning in five sets.
“This was a total team effort tonight,” head coach Charlie Olson said. “To say I’m proud would be an understatement.”
The Warhawks will return home to play Arkansas State and Little Rock on Oct. 25 and 26.
Similar to last week, the Warhawks started slow in the first set quickly going down 4-0. The Warhawks fought back but another Eagles run put them up 12-4 ULM would fall 25-19.
With homecourt and momentum, the Eagles looked to capitalize, but the Warhawks would not allow it, trading points before two Eagles attack errors allowed for the Warhawks to win 27-25.
The third set began with a service error on a service from Kate Blasingame. A kill from Georgia Southern would start a 17-9 run which was too much for ULM, losing 25-19.
The Eagles looked to put ULM away in the fourth set, leading late with a 18-16 lead but an attack error from Georgia Southern allowed the Warhawks to go on a run, outscoring the Eagles 8-1 to win 25-19.
The fifth set was all Warhawks as after an early 6-6 tie a Mikela Worley kill would ignite a 5-0 run. The Warhawks would hold onto the lead winning the set and match.
“It’s time to celebrate with milkshakes and move on to Georgia State,” Olson said.
The celebration would be short lived for the Warhawks as Georgia State would sweep the match, 3-0.
“We couldn’t keep the energy we had from the Georgia Southern match and it showed,” Olson said. “We came into this game a little flat.”
The first set would be a battle. The Warhawks opened up hot leading late up 21-17. Georgia State went on a 5-0 run taking the 22-21 lead. Each team would score two unanswered with ULM leading 24-23, but a Panthers 3-0 run would finish off the first set.
As Olson said the Warhawks came out flat, especially in the second set after being down early, 4-3, the Warhawks would never get within five points, falling 25-14.
“Tonight, we failed to get our offense going until late in the match,” head coach Charlie Olson said

The last set of the night was a game of runs as each team went back and forth before Sydney Stroud would end any comeback.