Zumbathon supports Alzheimer’s Association

As a first semester nursing student, Bryana Baines is continuously exposed to patients with Alzheimer’s and it touches her heart dearly. She wants to help in any way possible.
That is why she accepted the opportunity to host a Zumbathon for awareness of the disease.
“I decided to host this Zumba event because it is a fun way to exercise and relieve stress,” said Baines, a junior nursing major. “The event also allowed the students to have a chance to donate to the Alzheimer’s Association and help those in need, considering the common nature of this disease.”
The members of the Chi Tau Epsilon Dance Honors Society organized a Zumbathon to help raise awareness for Alzheimer’s in the community last week in Brown Gym.
The organization is an extension of the dance department. They hold dance events like weekly Zumba classes at the Activity Center. These classes are open to all the university’s students at no cost.
The Alzheimer’s Awarenes Zumbathon was organized to help support the Louisiana chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association.
It also served to help build awareness of the condition. Students were required to pay an entry fee of $3 before they could take part in the Zumbathon.
Two-thirds of these proceedings went to support the association while the rest of the funds went to help fund the dance program as a whole.
Baines praised the students as they were supportive and engaging with the Zumba routines. She said she always looks forward to volunteering for the various other events the dance department will be hosting in the future.
Wednesday’s event is not the first time the Dance Honors Society has hosted this kind of activity. Last semester, they hosted a Heart Health Zumbathon as a way of raising awareness of heart health.
That time, their proceeds all were donated to the American Heart Association.
“I attended the Zumbathon because I love supporting Chi Tau Epsilon, and I always have a great time at their events,” said Raven Smith, a senior communications major. “It is a great way to meet new people and bond with friends.”
She endorsed this particular event as she supports the advancement of Alzheimer’s research. She said she believed that her donations would help provide care and support for all affected.
“This was my first time attending, but it won’t be my last,” Smith said.