Own your anxiety, don’t let it own you

Own your anxiety, don’t let it own you

Anxiety finds a home in the bodies of humans everywhere. But it’s not seen as a mental health disorder. Just like depression, anxiety is a burden to many people and it continues to be stigmatized by the general public.

But people should be able to talk about it and embrace it, because then it wouldn’t be so hard to deal with.

According to the American Psychological Association, anxiety is characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure.

It can control the lives of those struggling with it. But the judgement society has toward it is the reason why people are afraid to talk about it.

Anxiety may seem like nothing more than a problem to get over. But it isn’t something that can easily be put aside.

Some people find it hard to leave their home out of fear, some cry when they’re in certain situations that make them anxious and some break out in rashes because of extreme worry.

Although anxiety is a universal struggle, college students seem to experience it more frequently because of the huge amounts of work and their own personal issues.

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America said that 85% of college students reported feeling overwhelmed by everything they had to do at some point within the past year.

As college students, we are expected to be responsible adults who know how to prioritize our time, but even the most organized students can fall off sometimes.

Procrastination is often the root of stress. Once the work piles up, we start scrambling to finish everything. That calls for hours of sitting in front of our computer screens with several cups of coffee to keep us awake.

In the middle of catching up on all that work, an anxiety attack can sneak up on you and suddenly everything is overwhelming to you.

For some students, that feeling is constant. One anxiety attack turns into many.

There are several ways to overcome anxiety, but the best thing you can do is accept the fact that you struggle with this and never be afraid to tell someone how you feel. The more we embrace our imperfections and fears, the stronger we will become.