Warhawks’ favorite spots for relaxation

After spending all week on Zoom and in the classroom, everyone needs a break. When you need to get away from all that stress, go get some fresh air and enjoy the many recreational areas and fun activities on and off campus.

If you are a nature-lover, there are five national wildlife refuges and multiple parks in Monroe. The state parks in Monroe include Forsythe Park, Bayou Park and Kiroli Park.

There is also Black Bayou Lake National Life Refuge that has beautiful nature trails. There is a pier that extends over the bayou and is the perfect spot for fishing with a beautiful view.

“Black Bayou National Wildlife Refuge is by far my favorite place to visit in the Monroe area. It offers a great location for my two favorite things: Hunting and fishing,” John Tyler Gault, a sophomore, said.

If you are into museums, there are several throughout Monroe, such as the Biedenharn Museum and Garden, Masur Museum and the Chennault Aviation & Military Museum.

One of the most famous recreational places to visit is the Duck Commander Warehouse, which is only twenty minutes away from campus.

But there are a lot of fun things to do on campus as well. Many students enjoy going to the Activity Center.

Mia Harper, junior health studies major, said, “The AC has great equipment for any workout you are wanting to do.”

There are activities such as basketball, ping pong and racquetball. There is also a weight room and cardiovascular area.

The Activity Center has something that fits every student. It has several services like group exercise classes, a sauna and the Hawk’s Nest. One of the popular group exercise classes is the Zumba class. Most students who attend this class find themselves coming back again and again.

The University and Bayou Parks are also two great spots on campus to spend an afternoon. In University Park, you can watch and participate in intramurals. There are multiple events and activities that occur in Bayou Park such as CAB and SGA sponsored events.       

Another fun way to spend time on the bayou is renting a kayak from the ULM Wesley Foundation and enjoying the amazing view.

Whether you are trying have fun on or off campus, there is something for everyone in Monroe.