Spring Meltdown inspires students to get in shape

Students and faculty are “in it to lose it” for the 7th Annual Spring Melt Down competition.

The six week program en­courages all participants to live a healthier lifestyle.

The added incentive of cash prizes funded by the registration fees doesn’t hurt either.

Points are awarded based on the difficulty and duration of each exercise, amount of food or water, and the percent of body weight and total inches lost.

Point limits force improve­ment in all areas.

Usually dominated by faculty and staff members, the competi­tion is gaining popularity with students, who now make up about half the applicants.

Emily Turner, a senior general studies major from West Mon­roe, is returning to train for a 5k marathon this spring.

“I did it two years ago, and the team I was in won second or third place. I hadn’t worked out since that time, so I thought I’d try again,” she said.

Other students joined to keep themselves motivated, like Mandi Simmons, a toxicology senior from Keithville.

“I’m not a good eater; I’m do­ing this to get into a good habit and to have something hold me accountable,” Simmons said.

She and several other students wish it would be offered both se­mesters for the same reason.

Senior pre-pharmacy major, Ashley Sanders from Urania has a more traditional goal.

“I just want to fit in my jeans. I would like to win –and we’re going to– but if I just lose weight that’s prize enough for me,” Sanders said.

Whatever their personal goals, all participants are look­ing forward to staying healthy with ULM’s Spring Melt Down this year.